Food is one of the BEST, and most anticipated parts of traveling. Travel is about adventure and trying new foods is part of that adventure. I sample at least one new food on each trip, something I can’t find at home. On my last trip, I tried squid ink and a black ant salted rim margarita (the squid ink was delicious but, in the future, I’ll pass on the black ant salt rim).

Those food adventures are more challenging if you have dietary restrictions though.

I should know, I have a LONG list of food allergies. The teensiest bite of banana or avocado and I am searching for the nearest hospital.  That’s the last thing I want to experience on vacation. Whether you’re vegetarian, vegan, lactose or gluten intolerant or have food allergies, dining while traveling doesn’t have to be stressful or full of boring cuisine.

Check out these tips for making traveling with dietary requirements a little easier:

1. Plan Ahead

Most restaurants post their menus online. Spend time looking over the menu before arriving. That way you won’t feel rushed and can choose healthy dishes that you’ll enjoy.

2. Contact the Concierge

When you arrive at your hotel, meet with the concierge to discuss your dietary requirements and ways they can accommodate your needs. Most properties will be able to easily work with you and the concierge can recommend restaurants and menu items that are delicious and fit within your diet.

3. Speak the Language

It’s worth the extra time needed to learn the spelling and pronunciation of foods you’d rather avoid. Knowing how to recognize those items on a menu can be helpful as well.

4. Create a “business card”

Create a business-sized card with your dietary requirements printed on it. Print one side in English, the other side in the language of the country you’re visiting. Make sure you have multiple copies; often the server will take the card to show the chef preparing your meal.

5. Speak Up

It’s easy to feel conspicuous when asked to list your food requirements, but don’t be shy. Let your server know of your food restrictions right away and don’t be afraid to ask for recommendations. They have the inside scoop on the best dishes on the menu anyway and will know what you should avoid. Chances are you’ll get the best meal at the table!

Want more travel tips? I can help find the destinations and resorts that will not only cater to your dietary restrictions but will prepare a mouthwatering gastronomic experience you’ll never forget. Contact me today and we’ll start planning your best trip yet – to email me, click here.